Hoss

Monkeypanic

American Splendor

American Splendor: The Life and Times of Harvey Pekar - Harvey Pekar Harvey Pekar works as a file clerk in the VA hospital, and spends his abundant free time musing on everything from the great questions down to the most pedestrian details of his life - mostly the latter. This book gives you a front row seat to his inner monologue, so listen up if you're interested in hearing whatever it is that's got Harvey's goat. Most of it is stuff like the squabble among carpoolers over who should pay a parking ticket, or Harvey's impression of the rookie City Bus driver, but then there are his more substantial reflections on what went wrong with his first two marriages. A lot of this wouldn't normally be up my alley, but together with artwork from R.Crumb, it is captivating. Harvey is a tragic figure, unhappily possessed by a combination of considerable intellegence and vanity, yet miniscule ambition and self-esteem. The result is a very isolated man.Reading this, I found myself frequently reminded of "Elanor Rigby" and the characters that song describes. All the loney people...