Hoss

Monkeypanic

When Bad Things Happen to Good People

When Bad Things Happen to Good People - Harold S. Kushner What I like about this book is that the author seems like a very genuine person who is trying to explore the big questions of life in a thoughtful manner. The tone of the book is comforting. I also like that a religious leader (the author is a rabbi) is not afraid to take a stand on an allegorical rather than literal interpretation of holy scripture.What I don't like about this book... well, it is important to note that the title of this book is "WHEN Bad Things Happen..." and not "WHY Bad Things Happen..." We all thirst to hear a satisfying reason why a loving God would allow a parade of terrors and injustices to continue relentlessly in His Creation down through the ages, but of course the author cannot answer that. Instead, this book tackles the much less ambitious subject of when bad things happen. In other words, it's after-the-fact crisis management for the downtrodden. If you're in need of comfort and this book helps you, then by all means: enjoy. I personally cannot stomach the idea of an all-powerful God who loves each of us as children, but who nonetheless refuses to intervene to prevent rape, murder, and the like. Doesn't it add insult to injury when the same God whose inaction permitted the rape to then approach the victim and say "Hey, I'm here for you"? The author and many reviewers seem to be able to deal with these questions without addressing the issue of Justice, and I cannot do that, and thus I found the book unsatisfying.