Hoss

Monkeypanic

It's Your Ship: Management Techniques from the Best Damn Ship in the Navy

It's Your Ship: Management Techniques from the Best Damn Ship in the Navy - D. Michael Abrashoff This is a very practical management book by a former Navy Captain, but of course all the lessons apply to all sorts of non-military, non-nautical situations. Michael Abrashoff has a talent for exploiting quirks and peculiarities in the system to achieve his goals. Love the anecdote about how he wanted to let his sailors drink beer at a party, but Navy regulations forbade dispensing alcohol aboard ship- so he hired a barge to tow behind the ship, and had the party on the barge! That is just one example of CAPT Abrashoff directing his energies to making his sailors happy, rather than focusing on performance goals. As you might imagine, the performance targets are easily met and exceeded, once he his staff is engaged, and morale is high. That's really what I like best about this book, and what I have tried to implement in my medical practice, with mostly good results. Written with humor and personality, this book is really more about treating people right, and deserves better than to be stuck in the "Business" section, among some of the most dull and witless prose ever written.