Hoss

Monkeypanic

Black Athena: The Afroasiatic Roots of Classical Civilization (The Fabrication of Ancient Greece 1785-1985, Volume 1) - Martin Bernal Dry and scholarly. Basically contends that many of the achievements we attribute to Hellenistic Greece (e.g. geometry, some basic philosophy and priniciples of logic, some aspects of architecture) are actually the achievements of Egypt and the near East, denied all these many long years by racist historians who wish to paint Europe in the most favorable (i.e. superior) light. I don't know; sounds reasonable the way he presents it, but I just don't have the professional depth of knowledge to judge. Opponents of the book paint it as part of a decades-long namby-pamby "tolerance and multicultural kumba-ya" trend which does not properly revere the Western culture bequethed to us by our Greek, Roman, and Western European forebears.So what's a poor lay-reader to do? File it in the "food for thought" bin, I guess.