Hoss

Monkeypanic

The Itsy-Bitsy Spider

The Itsy-Bitsy Spider - Jeanette Winter Okay, this is a holdover from Christmas vacation, when I was reading my nephews' books. This is one of their older ones; they've outgrown it, but it was there, so I read it. I'm giving it five stars because I like the illustrations. I was originally going to keep my opinions to myself about this book, but the sloppy language is so striking, and the target audience is so young, I just wonder what kind of damage we're doing to children’s' speaking habits with this rhyme. It's so short, let's just take it line-by-line, and I'll show you what I'm talking about.The itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout"The" itsy bitsy spider? "The" water spout? One really ought not to use the definitive article the first time new subjects are mentioned. They ought to be introduced as "An" itsy bitsy spider, and "a" waterspout. After that, "the" should be used, unless additional spiders or waterspouts are introduced, and need to be differentiated.Down came the rain and washed the spider out"Out"??? Out of where? I was led to believe he was climbing on the spout, not up into it. If he was on the spout, the rain should have washed him off. If he were climbing up into the spout, the rain wouldn't affect him, because he'd be inside -drowning! Also, I'm not sure about the definitive article for rain here. I guess it's kind of like a wandering force of nature... like whenever you see rain, it's the same rain you saw before? There's only one Rain? I guess I can live with that... the water cycle, etc etc.Out came the sun and dried up all the rainFirst of all, the sun didn't come out of anywhere. It was obscured. I'm going to guess by clouds, although that isn't explicitly stated. Presumably, the clouds blew away, or maybe they evaporated (the author never explains this part) and revealed the sun which had been there the whole time.Secondly, is water still rain when it's lying on the ground? I think rain has to be in freefall to rightly be considered rain. I don't think the sun was vaporizing raindrops as they fell... unless all of this is happening on some other planet (which also has spiders and waterspouts), where conditions are much hotter than what we experience on Earth. This isn't a science fiction book, is it? I think the author's intent was that the sun evaporated the water which was lying on the ground after the rainfall. Finally, the heat of the sun did not dry the water which was on the ground. That water is still wet. It just returned to the atmosphere in vapor form. I think "evaporated" is the word the author was looking for. It would be fair to say the heat dried the ground. Then the itsy bitsy spider climbed up the spout again.This is the only line which I do not object to.In summary, this song should properly read:(Edited)An itsy bitsy spider climbed up a water spoutDown came the rain and washed the spider offThe sun was unobscured, and its heat dried up the groundThen the itsy bitsy spider climbed up the spout again.An itsy bitsy spider a waterspout ascended. Down came some rain and the spider was upended. When clearer skies prevailed, the ground began to dry. And the itsy bitsy spider, he had another try. See??? It isn't difficult to write a good childrens' story. I did this in like ten minutes.