Hoss

Monkeypanic

Me Write Book: It Bigfoot Memoir

Me Write Book: It Bigfoot Memoir - Graham Roumieu In case you've been asking yourself how juvenile my humor is (and I just know you have), this book should provide some guidance. The premise should be pretty easy to guess from the title, so the only question remaining is "how well does the author execute the joke?" The answer is pretty fucking skillfully. It starts off with a foreward by the Loch Ness Monster. Funny, but kind of predictable. FameThen, it starts in with Big Foot as a has-been celebrity, having reached the height of his popularity in the 70's. This is pretty funny stuff. The text is illustrated by very poorly-rendered (by Big Foot?) ink and watercolor drawings. On the page where BF recounts his party-hardy heydays with then-celebrities Morris the Cat and Andrew Dice Clay, there is a hilarious drawing of BF, in a swimming pool with hundred dollar bills floating on the surface. He's got a a bottle of vodka in one hand, a submarine sandwich in the other, several fancy watches on his arm, and a sexy woman on his shoulders, wearing only a bikini top, and shooting off a machine gun. For this picture alone you should buy the book.DownfallThe narration goes on, detailing BF's downfall, attrubutable to losing big money gambling on tic-tac-toe, a prison stint, nightmares about ghost little girls, losing one of his forest friends (a bluebird named Warren) to gang violence, and America's loss of appreciation for his nuanced brand of performance art. It would sound like any number of generic Hollywood has-beens, but it is delivered in that primative, article-dropping dialect popularized by Tonto...so you end up reading stuff like:"People too lazy and stupid appreciate conceptual artist like Bigfoot who appeal is absence. If Bigfoot give stuff away like Santa I be everybody hero."...which I laughed myself silly over.ComebackRecently, BF has been working with a publicity agent, trying to stage a comeback. He relates a minor resurgance in popularity which made him "big in Japan". He is featured as the mascot of a Japanese company which makes some mysterious product nobody can figure out. This is perfect, because a lot of has-beens from the West earn money doing advertising in Japan, to the point this has already been parodied by Bill Murray's character in Lost in Translation. Also, there is BF's appearance on Oprah, and his attempt to write a childrens' book (a la Madonna, DiNiro, Billy Crystal, etc). This is all done pretty well, but it's kind of predictable too. What's REALLY funny is the stuff which comes out of left field. That's where this author really shines, and why you should buy this book.The bizarre stuffI don't want to give too much away, but BF's rejected alternate ending for the series finale of The Wonder Years was totally unexpected, and comedy gold. I had tears in my eyes, reading it to my wife (who didn't think it was that funny, but who are you gonna believe here?) Also, there is the sidestory of BF's alpha-male permanent bachelor/boozer friend, Chet. The illustration of BF and Chet riding around on Ski-Doo's is priceless. Then there's the photo BF took of a UFO, which experts have disproven as a fake, but which he maintains to this day is authentic. The illustration that goes with that one is great! Also, there is an amusing anecdote about BF's run-in with a black-market transplant organs dealer, and the character assassination ploy which jealous forest creatures waged to smear BF's good name.In short, this is a very original and very funny book which you need to go out and read right now, and then you need to vote for this review, and post comments agreeing how funny it is, to reaffirm my opinions and self-esteem! No? Okay, but get the book, it's wonderful!