Hoss

Monkeypanic

The Resistance Manifesto

The Resistance Manifesto - Mark Dice (kind-of)This is an unfortunately named book. The word “manifesto” has unmistakable connotations of the crazy or extreme, to the point I have to wonder why anybody would put that word in the title their book, even if they really were crazy or extreme. It’s a very poor approach, if you're trying to present a potentially controversial viewpoint in a rational and convincing light, but I’m guessing Mark Dice meant the word in its most pedantic sense, as a call to action. No… not fighting in the streets or flipping over police cars, but the kind of action that I and others have called for in some of our reviews: buying more of your food from local farmers’ markets, stop eating genetically modified foods, consider investing in gold, and/or using local currencies or digital gold as media of exchange, avoid consumer products which track you with RFID chips, and educate yourself about our national policies, and write to your elected officials about the ones you want changed. (You know, participate in our democracy?) Okay, so obviously this book concerns itself with a lot of subjects which I care about, including: ✓eroding civil liberties (particularly as relate to RFID chips and the PATRIOT ACT), ✓excessive executive power, ✓unstable and fundamentally unfair fiat currency systems, ✓the CIA’s lack of accountability to either the public or Congress, ✓the highly questionable integrity of electronic voting systems, ✓unanswered questions about 9/11, ✓unfair trade practices propagated by international organizations like the IMF and WTO, ✓and imperialist tendencies in America’s foreign policy. Critics like to lump all of this stuff under the broad category of “conspiracy theory” and then dismiss it out of hand (as if nothing conspiratorial has ever actually happened). That’s a lazy way of not discussing uncomfortable topics, because honestly, even if these things were all happening in a way that precluded any possibility of conspiracy, they would all still be important concerns that require attention. Unfortunately, Dice also spends a lot of time in this book on stuff that isn't my cup of tea, like ideas about the apocalypse and other religious things. I tend to gloss over that stuff, because it just isn't my scene. (The GR write-up of this book tends to over-represent that element, BTW) I don't need to hear about the Antichrist to know that I don't feel like having an ID card in the form of an inplantable RFID chip in my body. Many readers may find the religious content here intolerable, and simply toss this book. I tend to just concentrate on the parts where the author and I agree. As far as that goes, all the information about Freemasons and other fraternal groups are a gray area for me. I get how fraternal lodges might relate to subjects I am more directly interested in, as Masonic lodges really were centers for seditious activities during the French Revolution , but from my perspective, chasing stuff like that is low yield. For one thing, it’s hard to show how those groups might affect public policy or economics, the way secretive meetings of government officials and heads of industry might, like say the Bilderberg Group. Secondly, I’ve got limited resources, and limited credibility (which I’m probably stretching in this review), and I’d rather spend it trying to talk about subjects of more direct importance to peoples’ lives, and suggest straightforward solutions. Mark Dice cares about some of the same stuff I care about, and we agree on most of the stuff that appears on my checklist above, so I wanted to give this book a great review, but I couldn’t because a lot of the contents were not helpful, and a distraction from what I consider the central issues. Also, the writing could have been better in places. Where the book does well though, is as a reference. Dice lists a lot of disturbing Executive Orders passed by recent administrations, and shows how they undermine civil liberties. He likewise enumerates various specific provisions of the PATRIOT ACT, and shows how they violate the Bill of Rights. There is also some technical information about RFID chips, in case you're interested. It is definitely an interesting book, and has some good parts, but I can't give it better than a qualified recommendation.