Hoss

Monkeypanic

Freakonomics [Revised and Expanded]: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything

Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything - Stephen J. Dubner, Steven D. Levitt The author Levitt is an economist by trade, and so is familiar with methods of statistical analysis. (that is about all this book has to do with economics) What Levitt has done here, in a series of diverse situations, is apply his mathematic tools to novel, non-economic questions...with some dazzling results. If you find this subject matter intriguing but intimidating, I urge you to read the vignette about how Levitt proved sumo wrestlers were cheating. To his credit, the author explains his process in simple streightforward language so even the less mathematically gifted of us can understand him. Given the popularity of the book, it is tempting to speculate what exactly the significance of Freakonomics is. For me, it was a revelation how versitile this sort of analysis is, and how important imagination can be in what has traditionally been known as a very dry and esoteric study.