Hoss

Monkeypanic

Rich Dad's Guide to Investing: What the Rich Invest in, That the Poor and the Middle Class Do Not!

Rich Dad's Guide to Investing: What the Rich Invest in, That the Poor and Middle Class Do Not! - Robert T. Kiyosaki, Sharon L. Lechter This book opened my eyes to the tax advantages of real estate income, and for that alone it is well worth reading. Also, the "cash quadrant" section provides a helpful model of a balanced, diverse, portfolio. Naturally, you have to tailor these general models to fit your individual circumstances... and that brings me to what I don't care for: All of Kiyosaki's works push this attitude of "it doesn't matter what you make or do to earn money- just get out there and get in the game". To illustrate, Kiyosaki tells the story of how he jumped around early in his career selling novelty water bottles, then switched to velcro wallets... then, t-shirts, I think.. My point is that he wanted to be an entrepreneur, but didn't particularly care what his product or service was. Well.. good for him, but investing is supposed to be for everybody, and frequently the book turns away from investment advice to career advice for budding entrepreneurs. I don't share that mindset. My work means a lot to me; it gives me a sense of purpose beyond just the income it brings me. I can't imagine dropping my work to sell velcro wallets (or whatever) just because it makes more money. In truth, Kiyosaki comes across like a reasonable guy, and doesn't push the career-entrepreneur angle too hard,... but still, this book is marketed as investment advice, and frequently strays from that.