Hoss

Monkeypanic

Bringing Down the House : The Inside Story of Six MIT Students Who Took Vegas for Millions

Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took Vegas for Millions - Ben Mezrich Nerds were never so cool! True story (well, as far as I know; some other reviewers have called this into question, and I cannot disprove them). An adventurous, and very brave group of MIT students figure out a completely legal way of gaming Blackjack to their advantage. They use their mathematical talents to rake in a ton of money, while sticking it to the semicriminals who run Las Vegas. Eventually the casinos get hip and bar the students from playing, but get this: it takes a snitch on the inside for them to do this. All the high-tech wizardry casinos employ in the name of security was useless to identify the students, whose disguises were constantly-changing.Most of the book recounts the high-rolling double lives the students lived... working long hours at their studies, living in studio apartments, and eating take-out pizza in Boston during the week; then flying out to Las Vegas and living in comp penthouse suites and dining on caviar every weekend. It is brilliant, quasi-legal, and probably closer to the "real" American dream of today than the old narrative about working hard and paying your taxes. A word about the mechanics of the narration: this book has gotten a lot of ribbing for perceived artless, maybe slightly hackneyed, storytelling. I wouldn't put the writing in "Bringing Down the House" up there with Faulkner, but the author had a good story to tell, and he got it across in a way that I enjoyed, so I have no problem with the writing.