Hoss

Monkeypanic

Atlas of the Roman World (Cultural Atlas of)

Atlas of the Roman World - John   Matthews, Tim J. Cornell For some reason, the maps in most books on Roman history really suck.(e.g. The Rise of the Roman Empire, The Fall of the Roman Republic Six Lives, The Battle That Stopped Rome Emperor Augustus Arminius and the Slaughter of the Legions in the Teutoburg Forest This is a setup for confusion: what the Romans called “Albania” is what we in present-day call Georgia (the one that Stalin came from, not Jimmy Carter), while what we now call “Albania”, the Romans called "Dyrrhachium". What the Romans called “Iberia” is in present-day Armenia, but what we call the Iberian peninsula they called "Hispania". Believe it or not, there are like six or seven more of those, in addition to all the places you've never heard of before.This book is a handy reference illustrating maps throughout the Empire, and at all stages of Roman civilization, from the Estruskan days predating the monarchy to the fall of Constantinople in 1453. The diverse peoples of the empire are catalogued and at least superficially introduced to the novice reader. (i.e. non-professional historian) Topography- as relates to battle, and features of the land- as may be relevent to agriculture and trade- are touched on. This is an atlas, but also contains generous text to help describe why some areas were important to the Romans, or to illuminate who the indiginous people of certain regions were. I wouldn't think this would be such a novel item, but there aren't many comparable atlases out there. This little publication from 1982 is by far the best I've ever seen. GET IT!!!