Hoss

Monkeypanic

Walks on Bainbridge

Walks On Bainbridge - Dave & Alice Shorett Beautiful Bainbridge Island is just 30min ferry ride from downtown Seattle. Most of the island is residential, with a few small commercial streets near the ferry terminal, which contain cafes, a bookstore, and some other assorted shops. It's an affluent community, with a number of well-maintained parks and walking trails- none of them very long (2 or 3 miles at the very most).This book has been very useful in helping us find the tiny little public pathways hidden around the island. I wish I could tell you which picture goes with which trail, but I didn't keep track.My wife and I like hiking here, because we hardly ever see anybody else on the trails, and it is always quiet and peaceful. There's always fun birds to see, but I never get any good pictures.And sometimes, if we're lucky, we spot a deer, although I must admit, this doesn't happen often.Just walking around doesn't sound like a very big deal, but I look forward to these little excursions. We try to go at least once on the weekend, and if I get out of work at a reasonable time, we might even go on a weeknight.I never meditate. Or I should say, I never sit on a mat with my legs crossed and say "Ohmmmmm". But I do walk. This is my meditation.A quarter mile down the trail, with the birds calling to each other in the branches, and the mossy wet silence of the forest all around us. That's all I need to leave the world of email, telephone calls, work schedules and deadlines behind. BEFORE THE RAINby: Thomas Bailey Aldrich (1836-1906)WE knew it would rain, for all the morn A spirit on slender ropes of mist Was lowering its golden buckets down Into the vapory amethyst. Of marshes and swamps and dismal fens-- Scooping the dew that lay in the flowers, Dipping the jewels out of the sea, To sprinkle them over the land in showers. We knew it would rain, for the poplars showed The white of their leaves, the amber grain Shrunk in the wind--and the lightning now Is tangled in tremulous skeins of rain!