Hoss

Monkeypanic

The Bird Feeder Book: Attracting, Identifying, Understanding Feeder Birds

Bird Feeder Book - Donald Stokes, Gordon Morrison, Lillian Stokes If you build it, they will come.This part has something to do with the book.There is a section about bird identifications, but honestly, it is so limited as to be practically worthless. If you want a good book for bird identifications, look to A Field Guide to Western Birds A Completely New Guide to Field Marks of All Species Found in North America West of the 100th Meridian and North of Mexico, or the equivalent for your region. Bird Feeder Book is at its best offering basic advice about bird feeder selection, seed selection, where to place a feeder to attract the most birds, and how to prevent squirrels from eating your seeds and scaring away birds. Most feeders for sale today have features to make them squirrel-proof, so the book is really addressing a non-problem here. And spending five minutes with a knowledgeble salesperson should be sufficient for you to decide which seed is best for you. Sorry to say, I don't think this book has much to offer, but I do hope you get a bird feeder; they're inexpensive and fun, and if you want to read a paragraph of rambling autobiographical musings I'll tell you more.... This part has not.My Great Uncle (i.e. my grandmother's brother) and Aunt live in a rural area of New York State, up along the shoreline of Lake Ontario. More than once when my sister and I were little, my parents would drop us off up there to spend a few days during the winter break. (no doubt this was their vacation!) One of my favorite memories from those visits is sitting quietly but expectantly with my sister, waiting for wild birds to come partake of the seeds in the long tray birdfeeder affixed outside the picture window in the dining room. Normally I wasn't able to remain still for ten minutes at a stretch back then, yet somehow I managed to sit for up to an hour at a time watching those little birds, and impressed as hell when my uncle would identify each species, and offer some random blurb about them: "That's a Blue Jay. They're real mean to other birds.""That's a Chickadee, because his call sounds like he's saying 'Chickadee'.""That's a Titmouse...well, if you're going to laugh, I'm not going to tell you about him!"I can't remember a lot of the toys we got for Christmas back then, but I remember the birdfeeder vividly, and I continue to enjoy watching birds at the feeder to this day. After living many years on the East Coast, I have left the familiar birds of my childhood and now find myself in Washington state, which is home to many new varieties. My wife and I have several books on the kitchen table (including this one)to facilitate quick identification when a new species comes to the window. I have a television, a computer, and a birdfeeder. I need the computer for work, and I enjoy things like Goodreads, but if it came down to choosing between the tv and the birdfeeder, I'd for sure junk the television first.