Hoss

Monkeypanic

The Acid-Alkaline Diet for Optimum Health: Restore Your Health by Creating pH Balance in Your Diet - Christopher Vasey This was an interesting read, although I'm not about to completely overhaul my diet, or start monitoring my urine pH every day. Without a doubt, the subjects of diet and nutrition are a gaping hole in medical education these days. That is what drew me to the book, but although it has a very reasonable, and scientific "feel", it is not an academic work, and is weak on references. Still, the premise is solid: diet can affect the overall pH balance in tissues. Blood pH is very rigidly controlled through a system of buffers, but less so for other tissues, particularly poorly-vascularized areas like joint spaces. I'm not sure a direct cause-and-effect has been established between total body pH and all the ailments this author addresses, but there may be something to what he is saying. Even if he is not on solid, scholarly ground, Mr Vasey is very measured in his approach: if your urine is consistantly and significantly acidic, it may signify a metabolic problem, which may (at least partially) be remidied by dietary changes. I also like that he recommends observing (through monitoring of urine pH) how different foods affect the reader individually, rather than generalizing that some foods are (always) acidifying and other (always) alkalinizing. Not directly related to the subject, the book also contains a clear discussion about the glycemic index of various foods, and why they are important. The typical American diet contains so many processed and sugary foods with high glycemic index -this is really a public health problem which deserves more discussion. If reading this book raises your awareness of glycemic index, that alone is reason to buy it.