Hoss

Monkeypanic

Proxy

Proxy - Jason Mallory Jason Mallory is awake.This gets the Hardcore Truth banner, even though it's fiction... and if David Kowalski or Jen AwwwwYeahhh are reading this, let me tell you: IT'S DYSTOPIAN! Congratulations, Mr. Mallory, for putting a few more bees in my bonnet. I say that sincerely, because I lurve me some bees in my bonnet, and this book had a bunch of 'em:1) corporatism at the expense of humanity2) globalism at the expense of local prosperity3) false flag terrorism4) genetically modified foods5) the Second Amendment6) the role of the press as a Fourth Estate7) corruption8) the United Nations9) the Nuremberg defense10) the role of capitalism in a democracyThat's a lot to pack into an eighty page book, but it works here. Naturally, none of it is uplifting, and all of it is true.So, to start at the beginning, I should say this book is about robots. I remember watching "The Jetsons" cartoon on Saturday mornings. They had a robot maid, who did all the work, and I thought that would be pretty cool. Companies think it would be pretty cool too... ...because robots don't get wages, insurance benefits, or retirement. If they aren't already, robots are bound to become more and more cost effective in more and more areas of activity, until they supplant human workers as the corporate producers-of-choice. You know it’s bound to happen. That's the relentless march of "progress".But what happens then? People will be out of work. What will they do? What will companies do? What will governments do? That's the substance of this book, and Man, it ain't pretty. It's the story of our world- not too far in the future, where the working class have become truly disposable to the ruling class. Throughout history, the two have uneasily coexisted... the working class tolerating their rulers when life was bearable, and out of a general sense that order is preferable to chaos; and the Elite tolerating the masses because they keep the enriching machinery of commerce running, and they provide the goods and services the Elites wish to consume. Robotics changes the equation, because once the Elites can produce what they want without us, the gloves really come off. By that, I mean they see the lower classes as: A) a burden on "their" governments; and B) "useless eaters" who consume the natural resources they covet for themselves and their progeny. Proxy explores (among other things) the motivation for governments (under considerable corporate influence) to initiate "depopulation programs" (read: genocide of their own citizens -the poor ones, anyway). Chilling or corny? Is this Charlton Heston, unconvincingly breathless, melodramatically running down the road screaming "SOYLENT GREEN IS PEEEEEEOOOPPLE?"Not hardly. Or if it is a big joke, the joke's on us, because plans for global depopulation have been discussed for decades.[Fox News][Club of Rome][United Nations][Bertrand Russell]Did you think those weren't serious? That's a serious question. People like the Rockefellers, who were absolutely ruthless in business, are behind this. Henry Kissinger, architect of the Cambodian secret bombings in 1970, Nobel Peace Prize winner and likely conspirator in at least one assassination plot is behind this. Why would you think people like that are suddenly motivated by humanitarian drives?No, they're absolutely cold-blooded. They don't fuck around. This is just business, and they're remorseless. If you don't contribute to their bottom line, if you represent a potential threat to the status quo, they don't want you around. Moreover, they've got plans for the Earth's resources, or haven't you heard? Elites want to live forever.Sorry if you wanted to stick around, but there's no room for you, if you can't afford immortality.What to do? You can't stop progress... that is to say, you can't stop technologies in demand from being developed in a capitalist system. What we need to have is a hard public discussion about is what the proper role of capitalism is in a free and democratic society. From this country's inception, capitalism has been the economic engine behind democracies. The two have had a symbiotic relationship, relying as they both do on the free choices of individuals. But it isn't so rosy on closer inspection. Supposedly freedom-loving nations have been plenty predatory, when their material comfort has been at stake. Whatever made the working class in the developed world think the exploitation we've visited on the rest of the globe wouldn't eventually come calling on us? Corporations make no bones about the fact that their sole interest is profit, not social benefit. For a long time, Randian cheerleaders of the system had us believing that a system run on a premise of rational self-interest by all players would ultimately benefit us all... resources would be most efficiently allocated, and competition would cut prices and improve products. In certain circumstances, that's how it works.. but not always. Capitalism does have a tendency towards monopolies, and economies of scale tend to favor giant conglomerates. Enter globalism, and producers have motivation to move production to areas of the world where wages are suppressed and workers too unorganized/desperate to demand safe and fair working conditions. The end result of all this is wealth (and thus political power) highly concentrated in the hands of a very few, with vast segments of the population unable to afford even the basic necessities. It's hard to sell this under the banner of "everybody benefits", so at some point, you have to ask who the system is serving. It's serving shareholders, but in [b:Tragedy & Hope|726546|Tragedy and Hope A History of the World in Our Time|Carroll Quigley|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1177696660s/726546.jpg|712760], Carroll Quigley deftly shows how individual shareholders have been disempowered from management of companies. The system is serving Elites at the top who own sufficient stake in companies to matter, or who control institutional investments through things like mutual funds. It's the 0.001%.I guess that's what this book is about, fundamentally: how our current social, economic, and governing systems carry in them the seeds of our destruction. So is this book subversive? Quite the opposite; I would say it's encouraging the reader to become engaged in these issues, and to make use of existing political and economic power to peacefully rein in the predatory and monopolistic tendencies of capitalism.How? I don't know. Start a conversation. Your life may depend on it.EDIT: I have a suspicion this book may have been inspired by THIS ARTICLE.